Re: Bug in the 'mex' garbage collector (octave 2.9.10)

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Bug in the 'mex' garbage collector (octave 2.9.10)
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 22:59:23 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 25-Apr-2007, I wrote:
>
> | Yes, building the shared libraries takes much too long.  I don't know
> | what is causing that step to be so slow, but if anyone has any clues,
> | please share them.
>
> OK, I did some googling and experimenting and these long link times
> seem to be a known problem with the binutils linker when building
> binaries that contain large sets of debugging symbols.  The good news
> is that the problem seems to be fixed in the current binutils
> development sources.  I built binutils from CVS and installed the
> resulting ld in /usr/local/bin on my system and the link time for
> liboctave.so and liboctinterp.so went from several minutes each to a
> few seconds.
>
> Please note that I'm not recommending this solution for everyone.
>
> jwe

As you are talking about build slowness. It seems to me that the *.df
files and built and re-built, and for good measure built once again,
during a build of octave. We should fix the build process so they are
only built once. Also the *.df file is built compared to the old version
and then removed. If the *.df is newer than the corresponding *.cc file,
I don't think it should be built at all..

Regards
David