Re: graphics future

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: graphics future
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 21:43:51 +0200

On 4/26/07, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:
Shai Ayal wrote:

>> fail to
>> >
>> > It is impossible to implement some fairly common plot types (stem,
>> > bar, hist, stairs) in a compatible way without them.
>>
>> Take stem for example.  Where is the incompatibility?  What portion of
>> this
>> incompatibility has to do with the graphics engine?
>
> Well, stem should return a stemseries object:
> http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/stem.html
> so, the incompatibility is only in the return values. All input
> parameters can be parsed and drawn in a compatible way with core
> objects only

OK, so there's another doll inside the Matryoshka, a 'v6' option.  Apparently
what John implemented is version 6 and must remain.  The hggroup is an
additional factor.  The stem series was may have been introduced because of the
fact the more object-like handle for each line was too slow to render.

I don't think so -- the back end will have to render all the lines
anyway. I think the stem series was introduced so that the user will
have easier control over properties -- i.e. with one "set" the user
can change the color of all stem series objects (in this case, markers
and lines)