Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:21:54 -0400

On 23-Apr-2007, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| I'm getting the impression that matryoshka pointers get so excessive that one
is
| forced to implement all plotting capability inside Octave.  If every line of
the
| lengend is to have its own handle and every stem and symbol is to have its
own
| handle (why? so people can move an individual stem left or right a little
bit?)

The stemseries object is the set of lines and markers that makes up
the stem plot.  This avoids having N handles for N stem lines.

| It can still be programmed as a child of the figure, and it could have some
of
| the properties.  However, full blown property set probably is not doable.  I
| doubt people will complain if they can't have a handle to the, say, right
line
| of the legend so its color can be changed to something different than the
rest.

It looks like the legend is a special type of axes object with Tag set
to "legend".  Each entry in the legend is defined by three objects.
One for the line (type == "line"), one for marker (type == "line"),
and one for the label (type == "text").  The border around the legend
is part of the legend axes object itself, same as the border around a
plot axes object.  So the hard part is probably the placement, sizing,
and spacing for this object.