Re: Problem installing octave-forge packages

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Problem installing octave-forge packages
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:00:25 -0400

John Swensen wrote:
John W. Eaton wrote:
On  5-Apr-2007, John Swensen wrote:

| I recently installed the most recent CVS and now I can't get packages to | install.

What is recently?

| I get a segmentation fault every time.  I dug around for a
I can't duplicate this problem.  Do you have multiple copies of Octave
installed that might be trying to use the same libraries?

jwe

I just tried again with the latest CVS as of 4/10/2007 at about 6PM. I am still having the same problem. I always install each of my builds to a different directory in /sw/opt, but just to make sure they weren't conflicting, I deleted all of them before starting a new build. I didn't have a lot of time last night to investigate more, but it is definitely still happening and still occurs in the save_vars() function. I will try to find time to investigate more later today.

John Swensen

I debugged some more via GDB and narrowed down the problem even further.
All of these line numbers are for code from CVS as of April 13, 2007 at ~8PM.

In load-save.cc at line 1733, in the DEFCMD(save), there is the following function call save_vars (argv, i, argc, file, format, save_as_floats, write_header_info); I checked each of these variables in GDB by backing up the call stack. Here, i=1. However, when I go one more step down the call stack, inside the save_vars function, the function parameter (argv_idx) that corresponds to the input variable 'i' is -1073753728. I am not a GDB expert, but it seems strange that all of the variables before and after this function call have the same values, except i/argv_idx. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

John Swensen