Octave Central (or something like that)

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Octave Central (or something like that)
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 00:24:11 +0100

Hi,
  Warning looong post... sorry about that

A while back there was a brief discussion about creating something like Matlab Central for Octave. I believe the conclusion was that somebody needs to do something before it was worth discussing. I am not really web developer so I'm really not an expert.

The reason why I wanted the package system in the first place was that I believe it's important that users can easily share code. For this packages are nice, but we really miss a place where people can post their packages. So I think we need something that can be compared to the Matlab Central.

So I've been looking a bit at drupal 5.1 (http://drupal.org) that is one of the standard Free Content Management Systems. I don't have a server so I've just installed it on my laptop, meaning I can't provide a live demo for you to try.

  Drupal can do the following (and a lot more) out of the box:
* Users can create and edit different kinds of pages including standard web pages, blog-like pages, and book pages.
  * Users can upload files (like packages) to the server.
  * Users can add comments to pages.
* Some users can be administrators which mean they can change the site look, change the rights of other users, and other boring things.

So the central question is: if we are to have an 'Octave Central' what should it be able to do?

I believe drupal should be able to do most of what we want out of the box, but it doesn't come for free. Drupal requires more from the server than static html pages. It's based around PHP and MySQL so it has some performance requirements. Do we have access to a server that can provide PHP and MySQL? If not, then I don't think we can create a "Octave Central".

Anyway, what I'm saying is that I'm willing to do some work on this, but it requires a specification of what we want, and a server to do things on. But I believe we could provide one web service that would be used instead of both octave.org and octave.sf.org

Søren