Re: warnings

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: warnings
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 11:19:55 -0600

David Bateman wrote:
Daniel J Sebald wrote:

John W. Eaton wrote:

On  2-Mar-2007, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| I rebuilt the CVS version to verify that I'm now getting what seems
like 200-300 warnings such as:
| | [snip]
| warning: autoload: not replacing existing entry for chol2inv =>
/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.9.9+/oct/i686-pc-linux-gnu/chol.oct
| warning: autoload: not replacing existing entry for cholinv =>
/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.9.9+/oct/i686-pc-linux-gnu/chol.oct
| warning: autoload: not replacing existing entry for csymamd =>
/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.9.9+/oct/i686-pc-linux-gnu/ccolamd.oct
| warning: autoload: not replacing existing entry for etree =>
/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.9.9+/oct/i686-pc-linux-gnu/colamd.oct
| warning: autoload: not replacing existing entry for symamd =>
/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.9.9+/oct/i686-pc-linux-gnu/colamd.oct
| [snip]
| | when launching octave.  This makes little sense to me.  Is
autoload attempting to replace a file with a file of a different name?

It means you have multiple autoloads for the same function name,
probably in separate PKG_ADD files.

Oh, I see.  I take it this is a newly added warning simply to identify
redundancy?

Maybe it should say "ignoring

duplicate" instead of "not replacing existing".  Can you suggest a
better message?

How about
warning: autoload: duplicate function name chol2inv, ignoring entry inside
       /usr/local/libexec/octave/2.9.9+/oct/i686-pc-linux-gnu/chol.oct

?

Remove the octave-forge miscellaneous package.. There is a PKG_ADD in
the one you have that overloads the dispatch_help and builtin functions,
when it shouldn't as these are part of octave

Oh, OK.  So I'm learning now about packages.  Some comments:

*  Listing pkg in the "help -i" documentation would be nice, or a "package" entry in the
concepts portion of "help -i".

*  Typo in "help pkg":  "Different actions will be taking depending on..." should have
"taken" rather than "taking".

*  When I launch Octave from root (su) I get no such list of messages.

*  From either su or non-su I get:

octave:1> pkg uninstall miscellaneous
error: Some of the packages you want to uninstall are not installed.
error: evaluating if command near line 506, column 9
error: evaluating if command near line 505, column 5
error: called from `pkg:uninstall' in file
`/usr/local/share/octave/2.9.9+/m/pkg/pkg.m'
error: evaluating switch command near line 168, column 5
error: called from `pkg' in file `/usr/local/share/octave/2.9.9+/m/pkg/pkg.m'
octave:1>

* Actually, I don't think the "miscellaneous" aspect of it is the issue as I'm seeing 200/300 of these messages with a variety of packages and functions such as
warning: autoload: not replacing existing entry for purge_tmp_files =>
/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.9.9+/oct/i686-pc-linux-gnu/__gnuplot_raw__.oct

Well, the question is why am I getting these messages only when from non super user mode?
 OK, I think I've found what the issue is.  In my .octaverc are a couple "path"
commands.  In fact, this one is enough to illustrate the issue:

 path('~/octave/', path);

~/octave is where I place all the routines I'd like to override the existing
version of functions.  What's disconcerting is that, if I understand correctly,
it now is not possible to override existing definitions of functions. (?)

Dan