Re: I don't have functions like inv, pinv, det - build problem?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: I don't have functions like inv, pinv, det - build problem?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:24:25 -0500

On 26-Feb-2007, Hakan Y?ksel wrote:

| sorry, I meant ":". The output of LOADPATH and DEFAULT_LOADPATH I have
| sent, was after configuring and compiling with "--libexecdir=/usr/lib".
| I don't know what it was, when I have used just "--prefix=/usr".

Originally, you said:

    I have configured and compiled octave-2.1.73 with following options:

           ./configure --prefix=/usr \
                       --with-blas \
                       --enable-shared \
                       --with-hdf5 \
                       --enable-rpath \
                       --with-lapack \
                       --disable-nls \
                       --enable-readline \
                       --enable-picky-flags \
                       --with-g77 \
                       --with-x

           make
           make install

    Gcc version is 4.1.1.

    When I want to call det(A), inv(A) or pinv(A) I get the following line:
    "error: `inv' undefined near line 8 column 1".

    I have noticed that I don't have
    /usr/lib/octave/2.1.73/oct/<platform><os> with files like inv.oct,
    pinv.oct, det.oct and so on inside. There is not even the folder
    /usr/lib/octave. It seems to me that something has to be different in my
    call to configure. But what?

and then you said things started working for you when you added
--libexecdir=/usr/lib to the list of configure options.

What I'm trying to tell you is that if you use --prefix=/usr only (no
--libexecdir option) then it should work, but you won't have the
/usr/lib/octave/... directory tree but you should have a
/usr/libexec/octave/... direoctry tree that contains the .oct files,
and the /usr/libexec/octave/... directory tree should appear in your
DEFAULT_LOADPATH directory, so Octave should be able to find the
files.  You should not have to specify both --usr and --libexecdir
configure options for Octave to work properly.

After specifying --prefix=/usr, why were you expecting to find
the .oct files in /usr/lib/octave/... instead of
/usr/libexec/octave/...?