Re: Octave/Win32 update

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: Octave/Win32 update
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:15:08 +0100

> > My idea was to distribute only the things needed to build oct files and
> > support
> > the octave API. For the rest, I don't know; maybe I could include them
> > in the
> > installer as optional packages; but this becomes more difficult than I
> > thought
> > to know where to put the limit.
> >

> If you want to build oct-files that use FFTW then it seems logical to me
> that the header files of FFTW should be installed.. The responsibility
> should be on the builder of the code to ensure that they have the
> require files except the minimum needed to build basic oct-files.. An
> interesting test to see how many problems we might have is to try and
> build the octave-forge packages that have no external and see what the
> problems are..

But doesn't GPL require you to eventually provide
complete source code & build tools for ALL binaries you distribute
(i.e. including the numeric libraries)?
Probaby as a sepreate 'devel' package so that the user who wants to build
oct files can install it?

OTOH, if you don't actually need the support files to compile working
oct files, then the octave headers could be modified to not depend on
them - this idea has come up around here already.

yes, and BIG thanks to the michael & the team.
I installed the octave/win32 package and it really gave me the "wow" effect :)

benjamin