Re: Octave/Win32 update

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: Octave/Win32 update
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 21:14:45 +0100

> > LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'lapack.lib'
> >
> > Searching the installation tree yields only the following .lib files:
> > cruft.lib
> > octave.lib
> > octave_fixed.lib
> > octinterp.lib
> >
> > So I guess not only lapack.lib is missing but probably also the other
> libaries listed as arguments to cc-msvc (fftw3, blas, hdf5, zlib, f2c)
> >
> > Extrapolating a bit I guess that the header file fftw.h is also missing,
> since oct-fftw.h contains a #include <fftw3.h> statement, although I have
> not yet tried compiling an oct file containing calls to fft().
> >

> Indeed, the package does not contain all these additional files. On the
> other hand,
> do you actually need them (at least for simple examples)? Can you try
> the link command
> by removing all libs except those present in the system (-loctinterp
> -loctave -lcruft)?

Good point, I could have thought of that.

C:\programs\Octave\bin>  cc-msvc -shared -g -o c:\temp\hello.oct
c:\temp\hello.o -LC:\Programs\octave\lib\octave-2.9.9+ -loctinterp -loctave
-lcruft
   Creating library c:\temp\hello.lib and object c:\temp\hello.exp
Nothing to do!
Modes of operation:
   -hashupdate         Update hashes of member files
   -makecdfs           Generate CDF files to make catalogs
   -verbose            Disply piles of debugging information

Modifiers:
   -manifest <foo.man> The name of the manifest to work with

Normal usage:   mt.exe -hashupdate -makecdfs -manifest foo.man

I do not know what to make of this additional output, but I get a working
hello.oct which can be called from octave.

So it seems that: no, these libraries are not needed in this example.

I have one other example that uses octave_fftw::fft where I will try to
work around the missing fftw3.h header and see if linking succeeds
similar to the hello.cc example

Aside from this: Is it planned to eventually distribute the headers and
.lib libraries along with the octave binary?

benjamin