Re: MSVC runtime library license problem

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: MSVC runtime library license problem
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:57:40 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 23-Jan-2007, David Bateman wrote:
>
> | So the problem is on the GPL side as msvcr70.dll is closed source and so
> | can't be linked with a GPL program.. If that is a valid argument then
> | any compiler that has a support library that is closed source can not be
> | used to distribute GPL software. Does Intel's icc for example link
> | against a support library? Does that prevent distribution?
>
> Yes, if the support library is not GPL compatible and is not a part of
> the OS.
I think that is too strict an interpretation.. Why do OS libraries get
special treatment? Why can I link a GPL program to a closed source OS
library, but not to a closed source compiler support library? Is it only
that the library already exists on the OS? What about cases of
incompatible versions of the OS library, where a GPL program might what
to force an upgrade of a library? That seems to be the same case as a
compiler support library... This puts serious restrictions on the use of
a GPL program on any closed source OS, or even open source OS with
closed source compiler (cf Intel icc).

Ok, so if the key is distribution in the above can we please have an
exception for linking against compiler support libraries. I know in the
past you've state no change to the GPL due to the effort needed to find
all the authors and ask permission. However, it seems to me that this
exemption only affects compiled code, so that must limit the number of
people to contact significantly.

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only