Re: graphics-branch in CVS

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: graphics-branch in CVS
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 17:22:55 -0700

on 12/7/06 4:27 PM, Timothée Lecomte at address@hidden wrote:

> John W. Eaton wrote:
>> On  7-Dec-2006, Timoth�e Lecomte wrote:
>>
>> | gnuplot 4.2 (rc2 available) has a way to determine that. It can be done
>> | with the read-only variables GPVAL_X_MIN and friends. Use 'show
>> | variables all' to see all the available state variables, and 'help
>> | gnuplot-defined' for more information.
>>
>> OK, but we are communicating with gnuplot through a one-directional
>> pipe.  Do you have a reliable way to do two-way communication with
>> gnuplot?
>>
>> jwe
>>
> Oh, I thought octave was using a two-way pipe, as it was pointed out
> some time ago to get feedback from a click on the plot window.
> If it's not the case, then I don't know...
>
> Timothée

Timothée, John,

With the gnuplot-4.2.rc2 installed on my G5 Mac, I get the following from
Timothée's suggested commands:

Joe-Koskis-Computer:~/Codes/EMD Revised Convergence jakoski$ gnuplot

        G N U P L O T
        Version 4.2 patchlevel rc2
        last modified November 2006
        System: Darwin 8.8.0

        Copyright (C) 1986 - 1993, 1998, 2004, 2006
        Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others

        Type `help` to access the on-line reference manual.
        The gnuplot FAQ is available from
                http://www.gnuplot.info/faq/

        Send comments and help requests to
<address@hidden>
        Send bug reports and suggestions to
<address@hidden>

Terminal type set to 'aqua'
gnuplot> set font "helvetica,24"
gnuplot> show variables all

        All available variables:
        pi = 3.14159265358979
        NaN = NaN
        GNUTERM = "aqua"
        GPVAL_TERM = "aqua"
        GPVAL_TERMOPTIONS = "0 title \"Figure 0\" size 846 594 font
\"Times-Roman,14\" noenhanced solid"
        GPVAL_OUTPUT = ""
        GPVAL_VERSION = 4.2
        GPVAL_PATCHLEVEL = "rc2"
        GPVAL_COMPILE_OPTIONS = "+READLINE  -LIBREADLINE  +HISTORY
+BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY  +BINARY_DATA  \n-LIBGD  \n-NOCWDRC  +X11
+X11_POLYGON  +MULTIBYTE  +USE_MOUSE  +HIDDEN3D_QUADTREE  \n+DATASTRINGS
+HISTOGRAMS  +OBJECTS  +STRINGVARS  +MACROS  +IMAGE  \n"

gnuplot> help gnuplot-defined
 The variable `pi` is defined to be pi, see
       print pi

 Additionally, gnuplot may define some variables under various operations.

 Working with interactive terminals with `mouse` functionality defines
 variables with names that begin "MOUSE_", see `mouse variables` for
details.

 Further, there are several "read-only" variables that begin "GPVAL_", like
 GPVAL_TERM, GPVAL_X_MIN, GPVAL_X_MAX, GPVAL_Y_MIN,... Type `show variables
all`
 to display their list and values. Values related to axes parameters
(ranges, log
 base) are values used during the last plot, not those currently `set`.

 The `fit` mechanism uses several variables with names that begin "FIT_".
It
 is safest to avoid using such names.  "FIT_LIMIT", however, is one that you
 may wish to redefine. Under `set fit errorvariables`, the error for each
 fitted parameter will be stored in a variable named like the parameter, but
 with "_err" appended. See the documentation on `fit` for details.

 See `user-defined variables`, `mouse variables`, and `fit`.

gnuplot>

Note that my change of font and font size does not show in the output. How
would the "read-only" variables such as GPVAL_X_MAX be accessed from the
interface? Is there a one-to-one mapping from all gnuplot set commands to
the "read-only" variables?

Sorry if I've got the cart ahead of the horse with these questions.

Joe