Re: Distribution-specific include paths for several versions of Octave

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: Distribution-specific include paths for several versions of Octave
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 15:31:51 +0100

Am Montag, den 04.12.2006, 10:43 +0100 schrieb David Bateman:
> Thomas Weber wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm seeking advice regarding a packaging issue in Debian. It came up as in
> >
> > We are currently setting up a symlink
> >     /usr/include/octave -> /usr/include/octave-2.1.73
> > (or to the 2.9.9 version, depending on the installed version).
> >
> > The question is if this symlink should point to the octave/ sub-directory
> > in
> > this directory instead, i.e.
> >     /usr/include/octave -> /usr/include/octave-2.1.73/octave
> >
> > Thanks
> >     Thomas
> >

> I'd say it should be the second, as typically in oct-files the octave
> files are included as
>
> #include <octave/dNDArray.h>
>
> The first option would mean that the you'd need to have
>
> #include <octave/octave/dNDArray.h>
>
> which would break a lot of existing code, especially in octave-forge, or
> explicitly add "-I/usr/include/octave" to the compile options. I imagine
> that is not what you want.

Thanks for your answer. Actually, the current setting doesn't break any
code; that's why we got by with it for years.

$ mkoctfile -p INCFLAGS
        -I/usr/include/octave-2.1.73
        -I/usr/include/octave-2.1.73/octave

(I've inserted the linebreaks by hand). So mkoctfile passes both
directories to the compiler.

Well, I guess we'll change it nonetheless for future releases.

        Thomas