Re: unpack, pkg and non gnu tar?

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: unpack, pkg and non gnu tar?
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 10:22:23 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, David Bateman wrote:

Does the changes that Bill made to unpack fix the issue of pkg installation on Macs and other systems with non gnu tar? Does it handle all of *.tar, *.tgz and *.tar.gz extensions? Basically, I want to ensure that if John makes a release we're ready for an octave-forge package manager release at the same time...

The short answer is: Yes, it handles those extensions and will work for non-gnu tar.

The longer answer is:
untar.m calls unpack.m for all its operation. unpack can handle the following extensions (alphabetically) .bz, .bz2, .gz, .tar, .tar.bz, .tar.bz2, .tar.gz, .tbz, .tbz2, .tgz, .Z, and .zip.

In what may be considered a bug (though I think it's a feature), untar, unzip, unzip, and bunzip2 will work for any of the file types. The only caveat to this is that gunzip can work on a directory (recursively uncompressing all gzipped files), and that requires a bit of specialization (but you shouldn't be trying to untar a directory anyway).

Bill

--
"In a nearby closet, Adam pays a generous sum of money to Darius Quint,
the amazing little man who specializes in sitting on people's shoulder