Re: Second attampt at new octave-forge web site

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Second attampt at new octave-forge web site
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:28:16 -0400

On 18-Oct-2006, David Bateman wrote:

| And if you type system("which tar") in octave? Where is your tar binary
| coming from? Note in untar the call to tar is "tar -x -v -f %s".

I think this will fail on most systems that don't have GNU tar.  For
example, Solaris tar fails with

so maybe we should be doing

  gunzip -c %s | tar -x -f -

?  But of course we still expect to have gunzip available, and on
Windows systems, tar will likely not be available either.  OTOH, I
guess this is a packaging problem.

Should we start making a list of external dependencies that need to be
installed to have a fully functional version of Octave?

  makeinfo
  less (or more)
  ls
  sh (or some Bourne-like shell)