Second attampt at new octave-forge web site

From: David Bateman
Subject: Second attampt at new octave-forge web site
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:05:21 +0200

Dear All,

Soren and I have been working to address the remaining issues on the
octave-forge website and the issues raised from our previous test site.
Please check http://octave.dbateman.org

The changes we made include

* The most noticeable change is that we changed the site from green to
blue, to make a clear distinction between the octave and octave-forge
sites. We also changed the sombrero logo to green. Neither Soren or I
are web designers, so any other thoughts would be appreciated on how to
address this request from John.

* The front-page now has a "Recent News" heading. There is also a News
Archive that replaces the RELEASE-NOTES from the monolithic octave-forge.

* The package page now uses javascript to hide the description, till the
package title is clicked. This allows a much denser list of packages

* All of the webpages have been passed through http;//validator.w3.org
and the CSS file through http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/. There is
one remaining errors of the "text-align:" in the div#sf_logo section. If
you know a fix please tell?

* The categories index has been made consistent, and alphabetically sorted

* The package function references now contain only the functions in the
package itself listed alphabetically. The full categories index is still
available from the documentation page. This makes a clear distinction
between code in one package or another and those functions in octave itself

* The tar-balls of the packages have the same sub-directory name as the
package itself.

The problems that we know remain and don't propose to fix before a
release are

* The GPC and graceplot packages have not been converted to the package
manager

* The CSS file has the one remaining error discussed above

* We really should move www/ to doc/htdocs to simplify the octave-forge
source tree and make the install on the website easier.

Can you please suggest any further changes that you'd like to this site.
If there are no further comments, Soren and I propose to take the site
live later this week.

Regards
David