Re: [OctDev] Test web-site of new octave-forge web-site including all pa

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Test web-site of new octave-forge web-site including all packages
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 19:09:40 -0400

David Bateman wrote:
Dear All,

If you'd like to see what Soren and I have been working on for
octave-forge and the package manager, please look at the test website
http://octave.dbateman.org I'm hosting on my home machine. This is a
fully functional version of what Soren and I propose to be used for the
new octave-forge web site and is heavily based on the current octave
style, with a couple of limitations imposed by our automatic build (no
grayed right justified nav menu for the current item).

As this is my home machine, I'd prefer that it was not too heavily
loaded, so please use the above site with discretion. We promise to make
it available on sourceforge soon. The goal of making this site available
was to allow comment on the content and presentation prior to the site
going live. If you want to use the packages from the above site I'd
suggest that you use the current CVS as there are still issues with the
package manager even in 2.9.9.

Things that I know to need work include

1) "make check" of the csape.m function fails due to recent changes in
ppval.m. This needs to be fixed before going live.

2) Sort the categories pulldown in function reference alphabetically

3) It might be good to have a NEWS item to the home page with info on
new versions of packages. For now this will just be a single news item
on the major changes for the package manager. Include a link from there
to a NEWS archive and to the full octave-forge Changelog

4) Move the www/ directory in the doc/ directory and the build-www.py
script into admin/. Place the files for the website (installed and
built) in doc/www/

5) Graceplot and GPC packages need fixing

6) What to do with the additional files in octave-forge that are no
longer used?

Note that I'd really like to hand of release management issue of
octave-forge to some-one else and so don't know how involved I'll be in
the upkeep of the octave-forge website after it goes live. However, I
believe if we can enforce that the developers update the package version
number in the the DESCRIPTION files, it might be possible to automate
the package distribution, webpage update and NEWS items. So the job of
the release manager might be relatively light. Anyone want this task?

As for the RPM and DEB packagers. I believe that the process in the CVS
"./configure; make; make srpms" will build at least example SRPMS. I
have no automatic build process for DEBs in place yet.

Regards
David

This is slightly off-topic, but related to the package manager. Is there plans now that there will be pre-packaged, individual tar.gz files for each package to do something like 'pkg dl <package_name_without_version>' to download the most recent package file? Maybe even a 'pkg upgrade' or something like that to check for more recent version and prompt the user to upgrade package-by-package? If you are not averse to this idea, I would be willing to work on it (probably using wget or curl, I think most machines have one of these two).

Suggested commands:
pkg netlist
pkg netinstall
pkg netupgrade