Re: moving toward a 3.0 release

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: moving toward a 3.0 release
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:51:19 -0400

On 28-Sep-2006, David Grohmann wrote:

| So if your goal is to increase the
| number of users of octave the most efficient way to do that is to simply
| (ok so I know its not simple) work on some kind of byte code or JIT
| backend for octave that speeds up loops.

I'll get right on that.  I think I can be done by later today.

Seriously, you must know that this is a large project for which most
of us here have no knowledge of how to proceed.  If people expect
something like this, then I think they need to start thinking about
real ways to find funding for such a project, along with finding some
people who are actually capable of doing the work.