Best Way to Load a Structure

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Best Way to Load a Structure
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 17:22:09 -0400 (EDT)

So, while building the object graphics system, I found that I need to load a large structure for the validator (lots of function handles and some arguements in the structure) and for the root object (lost of various things but mainly strings and matrices).

So far, I've created a function that just returns the structures to me, but it seems as though creation of a structure at the build time and then saving it would be better and faster (after octave is built, run this script and save these default values). It seems as though this will be faster, but I don't see this happening at any other place in the tree (though I could easily be missing something). This could also make it relatively straightforward for a user to set their own defaults.

I see several pros and cons to this idea, but it should almost definitely make everything faster for creating objects.

Bill

--
Sounds like the ideal American business success story to me, what the
American Dream was all about: work hard, crush whomever or whatever gets