Re: MinGW version binary gobbledygook error messages?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: MinGW version binary gobbledygook error messages?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:53:26 +0100

Sebastien Loisel wrote:

David,

Sometimes (most of the time), error messages in the MinGW octave come out as binary gobbledygook. I'm not sure what triggers it, but I have a hunch that the following factors play a role:

1) Internal function that calls error()
2) Long error message (I think short ones fare better)

You don't have to try Workshop, gnuplot in command-line octave will do it too. For a quick example, try the example from "help delaunay".

          x = rand(1,10);
          y = rand(size(x));
          T = delaunay(x,y);
          X = [ x(T(:,1)); x(T(:,2)); x(T(:,3)); x(T(:,1)) ];
          Y = [ y(T(:,1)); y(T(:,2)); y(T(:,3)); y(T(:,1)) ];
          axis([0,1,0,1]);
          plot(X,Y,'b;;',x,y,'r*;;');

Note: the problem isn't that the example doesn't work (although that's a problem too). The problem is that the error message is fubar. Also note that in my octave, I've renamed pgnuplot.exe to gnuplot.exe (at least I think it was pgnuplot.exe) but this happens almost all the time with the other builtins I've written.

I reported a gnuplot problem earlier, which John said was related to DEFVARS or something like that, but since I can't tell if that's the same problem, well, you tell me.

Cheers,

Sébastien Loisel

Seb,

I was aware of this problem, don't know the cause and assumed that it wouldn't be visible in the IDE you are developing and so didn't want to spend time chasing it. The problem with the goobledegook is not due to the DEFVAR issue, and in fact neither is the pgnuplot.exe issue. There are in fact three different issues

1) The error messages are goobledegook sometimes in MinGW. Once they change to goobledegook they stay that way. Ideas? 2) The DEFVAR of the gnuplot variables doesn't happen till the first use of gnuplot. This causes particular problems with things that use automatic_replot. Try "spy(sprandn(10,10,0.2))" for example at the first prompt. See the thread on DEFVAR recently for more details of the potentially intrusive fix. 3) I seem to have not done a clean build of octave in my mingw zip and the binary of gnuplot is not correctly recognized. Rebuild should fix it (I hope).

I'm really limited in time at the moment and so might have difficulties looking at the first problem in the near future. So if you find a fix please tell me :-)

Cheers
D.

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary