Re: First version of MinGW octave

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: First version of MinGW octave
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:38:33 +0100

Shai Ayal wrote:

David,

I know this is a general mingw question, but you are the only expert I know...

Can sockets and fork be implemented in mingw or do I have to write a
nigw specific version to handle this using windows calls?

Shai

Cygwin supplies a posix layer for windows and so no mingw doesn't have these. Some things are in libg32w from the gnuwin project, but a lot are stubs. The code to handle ctrl-c in octave under mingw forks a new process suspends the old ones, changes the old processes context restarts the old thread and then kills the new thread. This is due to the fact that under windows you can't change the context of a running thread. In any case this means that there are examples of how to implement this under Windows in a basic way. However, I believe CreateProcess will copy more of the current process information than a posix fork, so will be more expensive.

If I remember correctly, I think there is a windows call closely resembling socket and so this one shouldn't cause problems to create.

Regards
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary