First version of MinGW octave

From: David Bateman
Subject: First version of MinGW octave
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:04:44 +0100

Ok I've placed a version of MinGW octave + octave-forge + all dependencies on my personal website at

http://www.dbateman.org/page=octave

The file is about 107MB zipped. Note that this is the CVS of both octave and octave-forge as of about 4 hours ago, so be warned this is about as bleeding edge as it gets. This version is primarily aimed at developers and so expect a rough time.

To install this just unzip everything under c:\octave. If you unzip it elsewhere you'll need to edit the %OCTAVE_ROOT%/msys/etc/fstab file to reflect the new location.Unzipped the install is 346MB (I was pessimistic when I said 550MB). Octave can then be run using c:\octave\octave.bat, which fixes the paths for both octave and the external programs that octave depends on to be correct.

Things that I know are issues and where help would be appreciated are

1) Don't use the X in the upper right of the DOS command.exe as this crashes octave. 2) Need to figure out why octave is complaining about a missing libgmp-3.dll for the symbolic toolbox. Help would be appreciated on this one. 3) ATLAS as I can't build it under VMWARE. I'm investigating using a prebuilt P4SSE2 release from teh Python people, and so hope to resolve this one rapidly. 4) Need to identify which files can and should be removed. The gnuwin32 stuff should be easy to handle for this. The stuff built from source less so.
5) fix the failing octave-forge build issues other than symbolic which are
 - extra/graceplot/__grcmd__.cc due to missing sys/wait.h.
 - extra/pdb/creadpdb.cc due  missing mmap in mingw
 - main/miscellaneous/listen.cc due to non posix network stuff
6) There are several posix specific functions of octave such as fork that I don't think will ever be available in a mingw version of octave 7) mv %OCTAVE_ROOT%/MinGW to %OCTAVE_ROOT%/msys/mingw, remove the /etc/fstab file and fix up the octave.bat file to reflect this. This will make packaging easier. 8) Get real releases of UFsparse and octave rather than the pre-release or CVS versions used here.
9) Deal with the NSIS packaging

Note that I've placed the minimum source (i.e. Things you can't get elsewhere) in this package, with the rest recovered by wget by the build script. When things settle down I'll make available a package with the full sources as required by the GPL, but I don't imagine that that many people will download it :-). I'll then supply a version without any source code to make the download smaller.

Feedback welcome....

Regards
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary