Re: octave GUI proof of concept

From: Sebastien Loisel
Subject: Re: octave GUI proof of concept
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 01:04:07 +0100

Ok, new version! Take another look at the screenshot http://www.math.mcgill.ca/loisel/octave-gui/, there's now also a prototype plotting widget. It can plot any line soup with Gouraud shading. I have a helper function myplot.m that turns a [x1 y1;x2 y2; ... ; xn yn] matrix into a line soup and then calls the c++ internal_my_plot function. Also, I have the ability of doing multiple plots; the plots rescale automatically, etc... Note that gnuplot is still available, if it works better for you.

Also, David said...

All of the patches necessary to build a mingw release of octave are in
the CVS, its the dependencies that cause all of the problems. However,

That's great news.

as long as you have glob, which I can send you off-line, you can easily
build a minimum version of octave. That is without atlas, fftw, etc,
etc.. That should be largely sufficient to test your ideas out under
mingw...

I should have a dirty build finished by tomorrow, so if you are really

It sounds like you're going to have this MinGW thing licked soonish and since I'm being so productive right now, do you suppose I can wait for your binary tarball/msi/whatever?

I'm not sure which bits of octave I'm depending on right now, but the only one that's really essential and that I don't know how it'll work in Windows is mkoctfile.

In fact, qmake takes over make *and* the compiler, and octave wants to take over the compiler. This is terrible! I don't understand why everybody wants to be your compiler all the time! Anyway, by trial and error I found what questions to pose to mkoctfile to get roughly correct compile options, and by sheer force of will, I convinced qmake to build oct files using those options. So if the MinGW octave can do the same and compile with g++, we're in business.

Cheers,

Sebastien Loisel