Re: Octave web pages

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave web pages
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 12:38:04 -0500

On 31-Jan-2006, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:

| * John W. Eaton <address@hidden> [2006-01-31 13:59]:
|
| > If we move them to savannah, then we will need to convert to HTML
| > only -- the pages that are checked in to CVS can only be HTML.
|
| Where is this restriction stated?

I meant that other things like PHP files would not work.

| You might consider CVS-adding your m4 files and setting up a Makefile to
| generate the html files and CVS-commit everybody.  In this case, the html
| files would also be under CVS control.  Updating the web site would be as
| simple as editing the m4 sources and typing make.

If we do that, then please use a two step process with one target for
generating html and one for committing the files.  Otherwise, it's
likely that we will check in a lot of broken HTML, especially when
trying to debug M4 macros.

| Converting to CSS can be orthogonal to that, I mean you could still use
| your m4 macros with CSS-based web pages.

Yes, certainly.  But one of my goals is to make the source for the web
pages as simple and transparent as possible, so that a fairly large
number of people can help with this task given limited amounts of time
available.  As soon as we introduce M4 macros, we start excluding
people who will say that they might have some time to edit a few
pages, but not to also learn some obscure special-purpose macros.