Re: Converting DejaGNU tests to Paul's test/assert infrastructure

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Converting DejaGNU tests to Paul's test/assert infrastructure
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 02:22:27 -0400

On Oct 24, 2005, at 9:20 AM, David Bateman wrote:

However, nested functions are not permitted with Paul's test infrastructure. I haven't looked at test.m yet to see, but how complicated would it be to include nested functions in test.m?

You should now be able to build test function blocks with the function name being the name of a shared variable which will last until the end of the test or until the next 'shared' block.

Another issue I have is that although "%!error" exists there is no equivalent "%!warning" for the warning conditions. Again how complicated would it be to add this?

Octave can only test the first warning since lastwarn isn't updated after the first warning. Presumably it resets itself after returning to the prompt. Also the warnings will be displayed during the test.

Regardless, I've added a warning block similar to the error block:

    %!warning warning("message text")

If you want to check the contents of the warning or error message, then use the new syntax '%!error <pattern> code'. For example:

    %!error <nonconformant> [1,2,3]*[4,5,6]
    %!warning <division by zero> 5/0

Pattern can be any regular expression on the string with leading 'error: ' and trailing '\n' stripped off.

I first extended the 'fail' command to allow fail(code,'warning',pattern) which will check the value of lastwarn against the pattern, but I decided the tests looked too ugly.

- Paul