Re: Access to variables internal to Octave

From: Ole Jacob Hagen
Subject: Re: Access to variables internal to Octave
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:39:41 +0000

Hi,

I have looked at the source code by John Swensen.
It seems to me that it's inspired by GLPlot at sourceforge,
http://sf.net/project/glplot.
I knew I had seen this implementation before.

Besides of a qt_figure, you'll need to make dedicated classes to
different widget and opengl-library.

Using qt and opengl
qt_figure, qt_axes, qt_text, qt_line, qt_patch, qt_surface,
qt_ui_figure, qt_ui_menu

Using qt and vtk:
qt_vtk_figure, qt_vtk_axes, qt_vtk_text, qt_vtk_line, qt_vtk_patch,
qt_vtk_surface.

Using WxWidgets, tcl/tk, gtk and other widget libraries will also
require their own implementation.

How can we configure Octave using different widget-libraries? Should
this be used runtime by using octaverc, or be done during
compilation/building of Octave?

I don't think Octave should be responsible of shipping octave-qt,
octave_qt_vtk, octave_wxwidget, and so on.
I think this should be maintained as an external library. Octave can
ship a template how handle graphics properties can be implemented by
giving a small example.

Cheers,

Ole J.