Re: packaging system

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: packaging system
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:01:35 +0200

Søren Hauberg wrote:

David Bateman wrote:
Hi,
I'm back from my short vacation and I've had a look at your code. I've altered a bit in the way descriptions are represented (the change was from a struct containing cells to a cell containing structs) and I've adapted your code to this change (although I've made a dirty hack because I was lazy).

The current code supports
*) the installation of multible packages with one function call (i.e. the package files are given as a cell array).
*) Dependency checking at uninstall time
*) Circular dependecies (I think)

It does have one problem. If multible packages are installed with one function call the order of the installation is sortof random. So if package A depends on package B at install time, package A might be installed before package B, which would yield an error. Am I making sense?

As always the source is at http://hauberg.org/octave-package/package.tgz

/Søren

A couple of comments..

* uninstall.m doesn't take cell arrays and so you can have the problem of circular dependencies on removal... Given the install code, in shouldn't be too hard to get the same functionality there. * I see no reason that you can't install over an existing package, as in this case it is an upgrade. I'd first remove the existing version and replace with the new version after the dependencies have been checked..

Cheers
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary