Re: packaging system

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: packaging system
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:03:03 -0400

On 18-Jun-2005, Stefan van der Walt wrote:

| On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 11:41:50AM -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
| > On 18-Jun-2005, Søren Hauberg wrote:
| >
| > | So the question is, to which extend should packages and toolboxes
| > | differ? Do we need toolboxes if we have packages?
| >
| > I don't see why we would.
|
| So, you'd like to limit a package to one toolbox?  That doesn't make
| sense to me.

Hmm.  It does to me.  If we implement dependencies in the package
system, then there is nothing preventing you from installing a package
that doesn't actually have any files of its own, but depends on
several other packages.  If you'd like, you can call your
dependency-only package a "toolbox".  I see no reason to complicate
things by introducing the concept of a "toolbox" as something that is
somehow different from a "package".  It seems to me that both are just
collections of functions.