Re: Line thickness

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: Line thickness
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:25:46 -0700

John W. Eaton wrote:
[I'm moving this discussion to the maintainers list.]

On  1-Jun-2005, Keith Goodman wrote:

| Take a look at the beautiful screenshots (and the code used to
| generate the plots) at
| http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

OK, it seems like it would be useful to be able to use this directly
from Octave.  What would be the best way to make that happen?  Do we
need a general Octave <-> Python interface, or can we just build
bindings for matplotlib?  How about a handle graphics compatible
interface for Octave that uses matplotlib?  The one major difficulty
that I see is that matplotlib seems to only handle 2-d plotting.

I was curious about this and found this message on the Octave lists:

http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/octave-graphics.2005/msg00013.html

I agree that matplotlib looks nice, but I know very little about python.

Concerning 3d graphics, I never thought gnuplot was adequate anyway. What is the current perception of Octaviz (http://octaviz.sourceforge.net/)? Do you maintainers feel it has major potential for Octave, or only that it is an interesting side project? What can we do to make it better?

Thanks,
Jonathan