Re: save options handling

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: save options handling
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:07:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, David Bateman wrote:

Bill Denney wrote:

As someone who is more of a user, I'd think that if I give any options they would override the defaults, and it would be hard for me to debug if there were other default options that took effect when I gave options. If you keep the default options when specific options are used, it would be helpful to at least give a warning that the other options were used.

Bill

Consider carefully the case I gave of

default_save_options = "-binary";
save -zip test.mat x

What is the default file format in this case? The reason to create the defaults_save_options argument was so that we didn't need two global variables for the file format and its options. So if it is implemented as you suggest we are left with a hard coded file format...

Sorry I think I prefer the complementary options due to this point alone...

OK, well I think that I (at least personally) would prefer at least a once per session warning that it is using a complementary option then.

I admit though that I don't really use the save options all that intensively. (I think of ascii as just ascii, not zipped ascii, and I think of essentially all other saved files as just binary without thinking of how the binary is constructed.)

Bill

--
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action."
  -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe