Re: Octave 2.9.0 available for ftp

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: Octave 2.9.0 available for ftp
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:15:05 -0700

John W. Eaton wrote:

Would you expect replot.m to do anything with arguments?  If it is not
marked as a rawcommand, it would not be able to work like the old
version of replot in 2.1.x and earlier versions.  If it is marked as a

I would think that perhaps new replot could check for
arguments and if there is one print a warning:

"Arguments are ignored. Use __replot__ for raw gnuplot command."

OK, how about a transition period (for both 2.1.x and 2.9.x) with both
forms and a warning for using the old form?

I would not be using old form for 2.9.x series -- if it gives a warning, people
would ignore it. If it makes an error, people will fix scripts.

I do not have strong opinion either way about the 2.1.x

About the naming scheme. Since people may want to use a similar system
for plplot, grace and what's not, perhaps it is nice to
have a plotting system identifier embedded in the name:

__gnuplot__replot__ ?
__GP__replot__ ?

Of course since gnuplot is the main plotting system, that may
be redundant.  :)

jwe

Dmitri.