Re: Octave 2.9.0 available for ftp

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 2.9.0 available for ftp
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:19:41 -0500

On 15-Mar-2005, Dmitri A. Sergatskov <address@hidden> wrote:

| I guess I have a more general issue here...
| Since it is essentially a different interpreter
| with its own different syntax
| (somewhat like C preprocessor macros), its commands
| should be made to look different from the "normal"
| octave.  So I suggest to make all rawcommand (yes, all four
| of them) names in a __xxxx__ form. The __replot__
| could be used directly in low-level routines, and
| a simple replot.m wrapper will provided an enduser with
| "replot" command that behaves just like the rest of
| octave commands.

Would you expect replot.m to do anything with arguments?  If it is not
marked as a rawcommand, it would not be able to work like the old
version of replot in 2.1.x and earlier versions.  If it is marked as a
rawcommand, the problem with statement separators is not solved.

| The transition will bring some pain, but that is assumed
| with versions 2.9.x ...

OK, how about a transition period (for both 2.1.x and 2.9.x) with both
forms and a warning for using the old form?

For now, the warning could be issued only once per session for each of
the names, and could also include a note saying that people should use
the higher-level ploting functions (we will already have edited the
higher level functions that use the low level names to use the new
names).