Update on this LAPACK Fedora glitch.

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Update on this LAPACK Fedora glitch.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 03:29:14 -0600

Here is an update to the LAPACK/Octave compile issue:

I looked at the Fedora site.  There I see under:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/

octave-2.1.57-7.i386.rpm
<http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/octave-2.1.57-7.i386.rpm>
         20-Oct-2004 13:21   4.4M

lapack-3.0-27.i386.rpm
<http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/lapack-3.0-27.i386.rpm>
           30-Nov-2004 10:14   5.2M

and under

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/SRPMS/

lapack-3.0-27.src.rpm <http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/SRPMS/lapack-3.0-27.src.rpm> 30-Nov-2004 10:05 3.7M
This tells me, based upon date, they've put together
at least a work around and did it by changing only the
lapack compilation.  Looking in the SPEC file of lapack
I see the note:

%changelog
* Tue Nov 30 2004 Ivana Varekova <address@hidden>
- fix bug #138683 problem with compilation

* Thu Nov 11 2004 Ivana Varekova <address@hidden>
- fix build problem bug #138447

The first changelog note is the bug Dmitri referred me
to.  I didn't go through the trouble to figure out
exactly what Ivana changed.

So, in summary, below is the process I followed.
With that, the "make check" went all the way through.
I still see some errors in the octave.log, like

ans = error: `a' undefined near line 4 column 5
ans = error: `b' undefined near line 9 column 3

but there is no where near all the strange errors
I was seeing before.  (That getting stuck problem
was only one of several.)

Dan

============

1) Download the file lapack-3.0-27.i386.rpm
<http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/lapack-3.0-27.i386.rpm>
 from

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/

to the directory /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386

2) Go to System Settings->Add/Remove Applications
and under the Engineering settings un-checkmark
the lapack package.  Exit the Add/Remove package.

3) Double click the lapack-3.0-27.i386.rpm icon
in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 to install the package.