How to make Octave build and run natively on Windows?

From: Ole Jacob Hagen
Subject: How to make Octave build and run natively on Windows?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:44:46 +0100

Hi.

I believe I saw posting regarding the same topic, but I don't remember when these postings were posted. Since I'm lazy, I write another posting regarding this infamous topic: Octave on Windows.

We have tested Octave on Windows within cygwin environment. And the conclusion is not very good, since the performance is very poor, compared to Octave on Linux.

What is neccessary to build Octave with e.g MSVC, besides removing the readline related files?
What files is handling the readline stuff?

If someone has started to build octave with MSVC, MingW and to run Octave natively within Windows, please let me know. I would help, or start such a process, but need more information about which files, that needs some reworking, and so on.

Have a nice weekend, Octavers.

Cheers,

Ole J.