Mingw build of octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Mingw build of octave
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:27:08 -0400

On 10-Aug-2004, Paul Thomas <address@hidden> wrote:

| Paul,
|
| Having all the sources for bits and pieces like readline to hand, from a
| Tru64 build, I gave Mingw a whirl.
|
| g++ bombs out in compiling pathsearch.cc -
|
| $ g++ --version
| g++.exe (GCC) 3.2.3 (mingw special 20030504-1)
|
| Error message-
|
| In file included from c:/mingw/include/windef.h:246,
|                  from c:/mingw/include/windows.h:48,
|                  from kpse.cc:47,
|                  from pathsearch.cc:37:
| c:/mingw/include/winnt.h:2503: semicolon missing after struct declaration
| c:/mingw/include/winnt.h:2503: abstract declarator `
|    _IMAGE_AUX_SYMBOL::<anonymous struct>::<anonymous union>::<anonymous
| struct>
|    ' used as declaration
| c:/mingw/include/winnt.h:2503: namespace-scope anonymous aggregates must be
|    static
| kpse.cc:2155: warning: `void kpse_db_insert(const std::string&)' defined but
|    not used
| kpse.cc:2362: warning: `void kpse_init_db()' defined but not used
|

| The offending structure is below - seems to me that all the ;'s are there!
| Still less am I inclined to mess with anonymous aggregates!  Unless anybody
| has any suggestions, I am going to leave this one for another day!

I think the first thing to do is look at the output from the
preprocessor to see if there are any #defines that are causing
trouble.  Try running

  make CXXFLAGS="-g -O2 -save-temps"

and then look at the pathsearch.ii file and see if some funny
expansion happened in the declaration of this struct.

If this is not the problem, then perhaps there is some other bug,
though I would expect that the mingw g++ should be able to compile its
own system headers.