Files built but never installed

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Files built but never installed
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 12:15:16 -0500

On 10-May-2004, Peter J. Acklam <address@hidden> wrote:

| While building Octave on Solaris 9 I got a message telling that
| "makeinfo" and "tex" was not found, so I installed TeTeX and
| rebuilt Octave.  I created lists of the files made during the
| various steps and realized that with TeX installed, the following
| files were made during the "make" step, however they were not
| installed during "make install".  Why?  Here are the files:
|
|     /var/tmp/octave-2.1.57/doc/interpreter/octave.dvi
|     /var/tmp/octave-2.1.57/doc/interpreter/octave.ps
|     /var/tmp/octave-2.1.57/doc/liboctave/liboctave.dvi
|     /var/tmp/octave-2.1.57/doc/liboctave/liboctave.ps
|
| My build dir was (obviously) "/var/tmp/octave-2.1.57".  Is there
| any reason why these files are not installed?  If the files aren't
| installed, why build them in the first place?

So you can view or print them.  Where would you have them installed?
I don't think there is any standard location for installing documents
like this.

| The steps I used for building Octave were
|
|    ./configure LDFLAGS=-R/usr/local/lib --disable-readline
|    make
|    make check
|    make install

If you don't change the install prefix, the documentation should not
have to be rebuilt.  At least that is the idea.  Perhaps there is a
bug in the build system somewhere, or there are other variables that
are substituted into the documentation that I've now forgotten about.