patch to correct assess to c headers

From: Clinton Chee
Subject: patch to correct assess to c headers
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 16:20:00 +1000

Dear Octave maintainers,

This is a second patch needed to work on IRIX MIPSpro compilers 7.4 onwards. I have also tested this with our Linux cluster based on Oscar-RedHat with GCC compilers and it worked.

I am attaching a patch for octave 2.1.57, just untar the file to get the diff'ed contents and the ChangeLog.

Detail: This patch does NOT address the issue of missing c++ headers ( among them are ctime ) which arises with MIPSpro7.3. The issue with MIPS7.3 require individual users to obtain c++ header files (grab them off another system or write them yourself). As of MIPS7.4, the c++ header issue is SOLVED. However, there is one file, src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/getrusage.cc, which needs to explicitly include the "ctime" header, then declare the use of std namespace before it can be compiled. This patch addresses this issue.

Although 2.1.57 work without the patch on Linux systems, I believe this patch will make 2.1.57 more robust. Also, from a C++ programming point of view, isn't it written or taught somewhere that it is good/safe practice to use the std namespace ?

Clinton Chee
Computational Scientist
chee at parallel stop hpc stop unsw stop edu stop au