Re: [Fwd: [Bug c++/14563] octave built under Cygwin very slow]

From: Paul Thomas
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [Bug c++/14563] octave built under Cygwin very slow]
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:43:53 +0100

After I followed up John's suggestion of looking through the list just after the release of 2.139, I realise that I understand nothing about signal and error handling; this will have been apparent from my two last messages! I have a weekend of contemplation of such matters in front of me.....

Paul T

Paul K, I think your suggestion of masking out the sjlj calls is a good one - I just have to figure out how to go about it.

tree_simple_for_command => do_for_loop_once => quit_loop_now => OCTAVE_QUIT

Thus in the profiling tests, OCTAVE_QUIT was getting called 1 million times.

use exception handling very extensively.

If you think it might be exception handling, then you might also look
at the uses of the macros related to exception handling that are
defined in libcruft/misc/quit.h and see if they now appear in places
that would be executed by code that demonstrates the slowdown.