[Fwd: [Bug c++/14563] octave built under Cygwin very slow]

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: [Fwd: [Bug c++/14563] octave built under Cygwin very slow]
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:40:25 -0500

On 25-Mar-2004, Paul Thomas <address@hidden> wrote:

| (i) To try to build octave with -fno-exceptions.  Ben Diedrich tried
| this but the build did not get past quit.cc.

I don't think it would be easy to do that.  Octave code now assumes
that exception handling works.  When we made the change to use
exceptions to handle the return to the command loop after interrupts,
we decided that it would not be worth the effort of trying to maintain
additional code to support systems that don't do exceptions properly.

| (ii) To build and compare octave-before-exceptions with the two
| different gcc's.  Does anybody know what version number we should be
| looking at?

According to libcruft/ChangeLog, the code for handling exceptions with
interrupts was added around 2002-11-07 (you could check the mailing
list archives around that time to confirm as I think there was some
discussion about it).  According to the src/ChangeLog file, the
version was changed to 2.1.39 on 2002-11-01 and 2.1.40 on 2002-11-20,
so you proably want 2.1.39 or earlier to get a version that doesn't
use exception handling very extensively.

If you think it might be exception handling, then you might also look
at the uses of the macros related to exception handling that are
defined in libcruft/misc/quit.h and see if they now appear in places
that would be executed by code that demonstrates the slowdown.