Re: Working patch for FFTW 3.0.x and Nd FFT's

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: Working patch for FFTW 3.0.x and Nd FFT's
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:47:55 -0700

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 18-Feb-2004, Dmitri A. Sergatskov <address@hidden> wrote:

| Being bitten by ~1Gb octave-core few times myself, could we have some
| equivalent of "ulimit -c" which limits size of octave_core?

Saving an incomplete (truncated) file would not be very useful.
Should Octave try to save as much data as possible by sorting the
variables by total size and then skipping the largest (if any) until
the total save size is less than the limit?

I guess that would be ideal. In case it has a significant
overhead another option perhaps is to
save variables in chronological order -- so the newest variables
will be most likely lost. But that is what we would want
anyway -- we want to save older work and since the newest
vars either cause the crash or occur during the crash so
they have low fidelity anyway.

But even a truncated core would be useful. E.g., currently if I mistyped
rand(1000000,1) as rand(1000000)) octave will exhaust all memory and
die dumping 4Gig into core-file some 20 minutes later.
Since I do not have patience to wait those 20 minutes, I go and
kill -9 octave process ending up with truncated core.
Having ulimit would accomplish that with higher efficiency :).

I did few simple tests and it seems that octave can partially recover variables
from trancated either ascii or octave-binary files, and variables seems to
appear in chronological order automatically...

Sincerely,

Dmitri.