Re: Working patch for FFTW 3.0.x and Nd FFT's

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Working patch for FFTW 3.0.x and Nd FFT's
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:56:43 -0600

David Bateman wrote:

As for making 'fftw_wisdom()' call the canonical wisdom command to generate
the system wisdom, this is a really really bad idea. It took 12 hours to
do this on my machine, and in that time you wouldn't be able to interrupt
the process.

That was sort of my original concern, about the user getting stuck in some situation he or she doesn't know what is going on. (I'm wondering what could possibly be taking 12 hours, but that's a different matter.)

save 'mywisdom.wis' fft_wisdom();
I'm not sure about the saving portion of it.

This might be possible, if we created a class to hold the wisdom info and then did "wisdom = fftw_wisdom(); save -ascii 'mywisdom.wis' wisdom", where fftw_wisdom would be of the octave_wisdom class. This is a lot of extra work for no gain in functionality, since we can easily have a seperate function to load/save the FFTW wisdom. Also the wisdom would be
stored twice in this case; once in the octave class octave_wisdom, and
again within FFTW itself.

Why not the name fft_wisdom as opposed to fftw_wisdom? I realize that FFTW is being used, but if later some other FFT package is used then fft_wisdom could still apply. (I may have come in late on this discussion.)

Dan