mkoctfile, LINK_DEPS and -lhdf5

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: mkoctfile, LINK_DEPS and -lhdf5
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 18:32:17 -0600

On 14-Feb-2004, Paul Kienzle <address@hidden> wrote:

| Robert Kirchner reported a Mac OS X build failure to
| me (private mail), which I believe can be traced to
| mkoctfile not including $LIBS on the LINK_DEPS
| line.
|
| Specifically, the failure is that it is not finding
| the H5 routines in David Bateman's ov-galois.cc
| since -lhdf5 is not on the link line.
|
| I notice $FLIBS is not there either, but I have no
| evidence that this is a problem.
|
| Perhaps someone with more experience with Mac OS X
| builds could comment on this.
|
| Any windows folks having problems with this?

A problem similar to this was reported to me recently for building
some .oct files on Cygwin.  The quick fix was to add the other
libraries to the link command.

Would there be any harm in havingg INCLUDE_LINK_DEPS == true on all
systems?  I've just checked in some changes to make that happen, so I
suppose we will see.  It seems to work fine on Debian, and I don't
know why it would not on other systems as well.

Also, I added FLIBS to the definition of LINK_DEPS in mkoctfile.  Is
there any case where that could cause a problem?  We already link to
libcruft, which depends on FLIBS, so I don't see how it could.