Re: Windows binaries

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Windows binaries
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 02:01:59 -0400

Andy Adler wrote:

Windows support is really important to getting broad octave acceptance.
I think that we're currently most of the way there.

Windows 9x support is really awkward at the moment because of
fork().  Fork takes ...forever... and causes a window to pop up for
each oct-file loaded saying that the oct-file has caused a protect
violation and must be closed.  With fork() gone, I think the only thing
stopping us from compiling under MinGW is signal handling.  With the
new signal handling support in Octave, this will be easy enough to
write.  I believe I already submitted a patch for most of it, but that
patch will need to be reworked.  There also may be issues with path
search, but that might be a matter of how kpathsea is compiled.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden