Re: windows 9x trials

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: windows 9x trials
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 00:49:43 -0500

Paul Kienzle wrote:

I'm still having difficulty with, e.g., "min.oct has caused a error" message box popping up for each oct-file that has been loaded whenever octave forks. It does this a lot, like every time the pager is called unless page_screen_output = 0. It works for me under Windows 2000. Does it work for anyone under 9x?

The problem only occurs if I link against a shared version of liboctinterp. It doesn't matter if I use any symbols from it. Linking to liboctave or libcruft does not cause a problem. Here is as small as I can get the problem for now. Run dynmain to see that it works when not linked to liboctinterp, and dynerr to see that it fails when
linked to liboctinterp.

Note that the Makefile assumes liboctinterp.dll.a is in /octave/lib/octave-2.1.43.

Any suggestions why linking to liboctinterp.dll.a would cause system() to think
there is an error in every library loaded by LoadLibrary() on Windows ME
(and maybe Win98) but not on Windows 2000?

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden

--- dynmain.cc ---
#include <iostream>
#include <windows.h>
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
 HINSTANCE handle = LoadLibrary("dynsub.dll");
 std::cout << "# Calling system\n";
 system("ls");
 std::cout << "# continuing\n";
 return 0;
}

---- dynsub.c
#include <stdio.h>
void dynsub(void) { printf("in dynsub\n"); }

--- Makefile
all: dynsub.dll dynmain.exe dynerr.exe
dynmain.exe: dynmain.o  ; g++ -o $@ $<
dynerr.exe : dynmain.o ; g++ -o $@ $< -L/octave/lib/octave-2.1.43 -loctinterp
dynmain.o  : dynmain.cc ; g++ -c dynmain.cc
dynsub.dll : dynsub.o   ; gcc -shared dynsub.c -o dynsub.dll