An advanced QR-decomposition for sparse matrices in Octave or Octave-For

From: Ole Jacob Hagen
Subject: An advanced QR-decomposition for sparse matrices in Octave or Octave-Forge.
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:03:17 +0100 (CET)

Hi, Octavers

The present implemented QR-routine in Octave uses
LAPACK (Fortran) with a C++ interface.
The usage is, say: [Q,R,P] = qr(A), which makes the
following decomposition: A*P = Q*R.

Is it possible to extend it so we get this
decomposition, Pr*Q'*A*Pc' = [R; 0]? If so, how can
this be achieved?

The best alternative is if anyone out there has a
function ready for usage. This might even be a good
update to the present QR-implementation?

It might be a solution to integrate the code of Thomas
Robey; SPARSEQR, which I've tried out.  This routine
does a QR-factorization, which is described above. The
original code is written in C and C++ and is under
Library GPL license.

It has been used for rather large problems for Finite
Elements.
I've had some correspondance with Mr. Robey and it's
OK with him if I decided to integrate the sparseqr
routine of his in my RFSQP-routine in Octave-forge,
but only if I gave him credits.....And that's no
problem.

Is this routine (SPARSEQR) something for Octave of
Octave-forge?

Why I need it:
"I could integrate the code of his in my routine, but
since it would be dumb to implement this routine in
RFSQP, the SPARSEQR routine should be implemented in
main/sparse in octave-forge?

The reason why I'm interested in sparseqr, is that
RFSQP requires the Q matrix from the QR-routine, which
gives the possibility to solve a equality constrained
problem, using a "NULL SPACE" strategy. The reason is
that the Q-matrix gives an matrix with orthogonal
columns."

Any comments?

Cheers,

Ole J.

Få den nye Yahoo! Messenger på http://no.messenger.yahoo.com/
Nye ikoner og bakgrunner, webkamera med superkvalitet og dobbelt så morsom