Re: return, continue, break -> ans = 1

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: return, continue, break -> ans = 1
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:54:52 -0600

On  3-Dec-2002, Etienne Grossmann <address@hidden> wrote:

|   I only sent the report because I was unaware of the change and
| thought it may be the result of some underlying problem. I only
| noticed that when some of my functions started printing '1' (the value
| of break) wherever I use it w/out a ';' after it. Otherwise, the
| perlier, the better. Biased, me?

I would be happy to have the Perl-like behavior, but not with all the
other bad side effects that happened with my simple-minded patch.  To
make it work correctly, I think we would have to have a completely
different way of interpreting expressions that involved break,
continue, and return.  Doing that is likely to complicate the parser
and interpreter a lot, and I don't think it is really worth it.  If
you (or someone else) can provide a nice clean set of patches that do
the right thing, I'd take a look at them.