Patching Octave-MPI

From: JD Cole
Subject: Patching Octave-MPI
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:47:52 -0800

In the process of patching Andy's MPI support into octave, I have come across the following dilemma: Should I add additional make targets to config files such as Makeconf.in, like this:
+ mpi%.o : mpi%.cc
+ $(CXX) -c $(CPPFLAGS) $(MPI_DEFS) $(MPI_CPPFLAGS) $(ALL_CXXFLAGS) $< -o $@

%.o : %.cc
   $(CXX) -c $(CPPFLAGS) $(ALL_CXXFLAGS) $< -o $@

or

keep with the original:

%.o : %.cc
   $(CXX) -c $(CPPFLAGS) $(ALL_CXXFLAGS) $< -o $@

and add MPI_CPPFLAGS to ALL_CXXFLAGS somewhere inbetween configure.in and Makeconf.in (I'm wondering if appending XTRA_CXXFLAGS would be appropriate for this?)

I am partial to the latter solution because it reduces the amount of code duplication in the makefiles. As far as I could see adding MPI includes to the global includes with which octave is compiled shouldn't effect the end result. The situation may be slightly different if I were to add the MPI_LDFLAGS to ALL_LDFLAGS.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
JD