Re: RFC: Using Standard C++ library components in Octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: RFC: Using Standard C++ library components in Octave
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:51:54 -0600

On 13-Nov-2002, Mumit Khan <address@hidden> wrote:

| HPUX. It also happened under SunOS and DUX assemblers when debugging was
| turned on.

OK, I've made the simple modifications to munge-texi.cc so that it
uses STL map.  I compiled with gcc 2.95 and 3.2 on a Linux system and
the mangled names are quite long.  Then I tried with gcc 3.1.1. on a
SunOS system (not my system; it was what they had installed) and the
mangled names were much shorter, even with -g.  Then I also tried with
the Sun WorkShop 6 2000/04/07 C++ 5.1 compiler and that also worked,
with mangled names longer than the g++ names.  So I think we can give
it a try.  If people complain that it doesn't work, we first get them
to try gcc 3.2.  If that fails, I've made it easy to go back to the
old libg++ Map class, at least for now.

| The C++ standard library container classes are not designed to be derived
| from, so containment is usually the preferred approach.

Then the first step will be to reorganize the Octave classes that use
the libg++ container classes, but not replace them with STL containers
(I can work on this part).  Then once that works and the containers
are isolated, we can start replacing the old libg++ stuff as it is
convenient to do so (I will probably need some help with this, since
I'm not very familiar with STL classes and the best way to use them).

Thanks,