Octave for Win 32 ?

From: Pablo De Napoli
Subject: Octave for Win 32 ?
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 14:14:46 -0400 (ART)

Hi!

In April I've sent you the message below, about the problem with the
version of GNU Octave for Win32 in www.sourceforge.net/projects/matlinks

Do you know if there is a version (with a nice installer) that really
works ?

(The version there hasn't been updated since October of 2000, although
there are many bug reports in that page about the same problem ).

I've managed to compile it from the sources under cygwin , but instaling
cygwing by hand and the octave is not very practical for my students (I'm
given a course on numerical calculus and I'd love to use Octave. They
don't know much about computers, and they don't want to install Linux)

Thank you
                        Pablo De Napoli

Hi!

I've a problem running the win32 version (octave-windows-2000oct25c.exe)
from www.sourceforge.net/projects/matlinks (there is a link in
www.octave.org).

Note:  I don't know if this is the right addres for reporting bus in the
Win32 version. If not, please forward this mail to the right one, and let
me know.

When running the installer under Windows 98 it seems to run fine, creates
the icons , etc. but when I try to run octave (by clicking the icons which
runs octave.bat)

I got the message: (in Spanish)

Comando o nombre de archivo incorrecto
Ruta no valida o no existe el directorio
o el directorio esta lleno

which means:

command or file name wrong
invalid path or file not found
or directory is full

As I think there should be some error in octave.bat I'm sending to you a
copy of this file.

Also could not found an executable octave.exe anywere on my disk. I've
tried to run the installer on two different machines, and the same thing
happend both times.

Please help me. I'm trying to convince some Win32 users to use octave
instead of Matlab (to promote free software), but if they cannot install
it they will say that octave is difficult to install or buggy. (I'm using
it on Win32).

 Thank you
                                Pablo De Napoli