Re: extern char *strptime () on FreeBSD 2.2.8

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: extern char *strptime () on FreeBSD 2.2.8
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 12:12:58 -0600

On  5-Feb-2001, Trond Varslot <address@hidden> wrote:

| Will something along these lines be acceptable? It basicly checks if the
| function strptime() is defined in time.h. If it is, there is no need to
| define it in lo-cutils.c. If it is not, strptime will be defined as
| previously.
|
| This is atleast will get rid of the compilation error which I got
| because of the discrepancy in the definition of strptime in time.h and
| in lo-cutils.c.

I've deleted the declaration of strptime from lo-cutils.c but added a
cast:

  char *
  oct_strptime (const char *buf, const char *format, struct tm *tm)
  {
    return (char *) strptime (buf, format, tm);
  }

Is there any problem with that?

BTW, why does FreeBSD declare it as returning const char*?  I don't
know of any other system that does.  They all provide declarations
with a non-const return type.