Re: User Function

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: User Function
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:44:40 +0100

I have already been gathering user contributed functions, or at least
those that are compatible with matlab functions.  For a list of functions
available, see
        http://users.powernet.co.uk/kienzle/matcompat
or download at
        http://users.powernet.co.uk/kienzle/matcompat.tar.gz

This has been a labour intensive process, though I do have a script
to convert the function database into a web interface automatically.
However, file uploads and entries into the database must be done by hand.
Automating this so that users could contribute functions automatically
would be nice.  Maybe an e-mail interface like the current bug_report
function in octave?  A web-based interface doesn't seem right since
it will be hard to get the files in the right place, and an ftp-based
interface is more awkward to use.  Maybe CVS, but I've never used it.
Even with CVS, it would be nice to have a mail interface for occasional
contributors.

I'm torn about the organization of the database.  The choices which
make sense are by author and by category.  By author is convenient from
an administration perspective (authors are responsible for their own
contributions), but inconvenient from a users perspective (difficult
for them to find the functions they need).  I chose to organize things
by category.  In retrospect, organizing them by author or by package
and using install to put things into categories might be better.

Tricky problems are:

        functions which are different for 2.0.x and 2.1.x
        functions which fix existing octave functions, and so may
                or may not have already been included in more
                recent versions of octave
        patches to octave sources (2.0.x or 2.1.x) --- particularly
                a problem since they may be dependent on minor version
                number, and since some scripts may depend on the patches
                to work
        functions which disappear from the network for whatever reason ---
                you need to mirror packages and point to the original
                source
        functions with numerous dependencies --- it would be nice to
                package all the libraries needed, and let the user get
                more up to date libraries from the original source if
                they need them.  WARNING: some of these are big.

Assuming the entire database is too large to handle as one big distribution
(which with dependencies like qhull, GiNaC and SuperLU may already be the
case), it will be necessary to distribute parts of the database.  That
means we will have to keep track of dependencies so that we can generate
appropriate subsets automatically.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden